• What is a compressor, and how do you use it?
• Is a compressor necessary?
• What's the difference between a compressor and a limiter?
• Finding good settings on a compressor
• What are Dynamics?
• Should EQ go before or after a compressor?
• Where do you put a compressor in your chain of effects?
• "I tried a compressor and it killed my tone and dynamics."
• What to do if compression muddies/muffles your tone
• How compressors add sustain
• How do you get a punchy sound?
(And what does "punchy" mean anyway?)
• Why are compressors so noisy?
Aren't they supposed to help with noise?
• Dual-band, multi-band compression
...(what does it mean?)
• Parallel, blended compression
• What is an expander or gate?
• All about tube (valve) compressors
• Different types of comp like VCA, optical, OTA, FET
• What is a sidechain, how do you use it?
• My compressor reviews
Preamp, EQ, audio gear FAQ:
• How to use the effects loop of your amp
(also "pedals vs. rackmount")
• How to choose and set up new rack gear
• dbx: an explanation of their model numbers
• Do different cables have better highs, mids, lows?
• How do you pick a good instrument cable?
(What about those expensive ones?)
• What does "transparent" or "warm" mean?
• What is a preamp, what does it do?
("Can this preamp drive a power amp?")
• Choosing a Power Amp
• Buffers, boosters, pedal chains, long cables, & tone
• What exactly is "Line Level"?
• Parametric, graphic, & other EQ types explained
• Can I use an EQ to get more lows or clarity from my amp?
• Active vs. Passive
• Clipping, Distortion, and Square Waves
• Effects blending, parallel loops, phase inversion
• Pedalboard patch cables harming your tone?
• What is an envelope filter or an auto-wah?
• Guitar pedals vs. bass pedals
• Effect pedal not responding like it should?
• Power Conditioners
• What is Headroom?
• Pedalboard noise, and picking the right power supply
Contact me by email
All text on this page written and owned by Cyrus J. Heiduska, 2006-2017, all rights reserved.
Copying is prohibited, but please feel free to link to this page using the link text "compressor reviews".